Friday, February 15, 2008

teaching?

I am still thinking about homeschooling...
I thought I had decided and was ok with not homeschooling, but I just can't forget about it and I just don't feel like school is for us. Ethan is in JK right now, but I am thinking that I may not send him back. But I don't know... This is such a major and hard decision. Anyway, this past week we have been doing homeschool type activities at home and I think my plan right now is to see if we (I) can do it now and into the summer and make a decision then. If it doesn't work, nothing's lost, if it does, we'll take Ethan out of kindergarten and Gavin wasn't set to go next year anyway. And then if it isn't working Ethan will have only missed senior kindergarten, which is not a requirement anyway.
Last week at school, Ethan was learning about dinosaurs and loved it. I decided to use dinosaurs as the first thing we would look at. On Wednesday, we went to the library and got some books about dinosaurs. We went through some of the names of different dinosaurs and sang some dinosaur songs. Yesterday, was a busy day, so we didn't do much. Ethan was in school and Gavin and I went to Sarnia, then they had swimming, supper and bed. Today, we made dinosaur boxes and a dinosaur 'collage' type craft. The kids had a bath with some dinosaur shaped foam pieces and we sorted all the different kinds and counted how of each there were and went over the names. If I get right to it in the morning it doesn't seem to bad. It's if I keep doing other things and then don't have much time for stuff that it would be harder. And Perry usually naps in the afternoon, so it makes it hard to do things in the house then. We'll see how it goes...
wish me luck.

Ethan dictated this story to me this morning:
Dinosaurs never ate trees. They jumped in the tree and never ate a crayon. And he saw a little Tyrannosaurus Rex and it was a baby one. Then a little man came tumbling and he didn't know why he had a snowman and it was springtome and he didn't know why it was snowing and the number ten was out. And he didn't know why there was a bat out. There was a shirt outside hanging on the clothesline at his new house and he didn't like it. And he wrote a dinosaur poem. He had a bat in the springtime. Why did he know that he had a dinosaur poem in his house? He had a shirt hanging out on his bedroom door. He never had a crayon in his little life, too.

:)

No comments: